This route takes you past Hochosterwitz’s imposing castle and across the scenic landscape of the “Valley of the Kings” that is saturated with history, and on to Völkermarkt reservoir. This challenging day trip takes you from St. Veit an der Glan to the beautiful Drau valley and the “Lake Klopeinersee – South Carinthia” holiday area.
The route uses parts of the Carinthian provincial cycle path network. Additional signposts at key points will help you find your way!The sections in detail:
- Fuchspalast in St. Veit an der Glan – St. Veit an der Glan railway station
- R7 “Friesacherweg”: St. Veit an der Glan railway station – Glandorf
- R5 “Glan-Gurk Radweg” cycle path: Glandorf – Untermühlbach – Reipersdorf – Brückl – St. Margarethen ob Töllerberg – St. Ruprecht – Völkermarkt
- R1 “Drauradweg” cycle path: Völkermarkt – Völkermarkt reservoir
- R1E “Seeberg Radweg” cycle path: Völkermarkt reservoir– Kühnsdorf railway station
This tour starts at the Fuchspalast in St. Veit an der Glan, with its highly recommended multi-media exhibition “Erlebnis Energie (Energy Adventure)”. You should also visit the Museum of St. Veit, and enjoy the atmosphere of the historic town centre. The route takes you past the railway station, to path R7, the “Friesacherweg”, which you follow in a southerly direction through the railway underpass. You proceed along traffic-calmed residential streets and then, after crossing Völkermarkter Straße road, you get to an almost uninterrupted purpose-built cycle path that runs all the way to Klagenfurt. Along the way you also pass the Hallenbad (Indoor Pool) energy site. Then the route leaves behind St. Veit an der Glan’s built-up area and mostly runs parallel to the river Glan, across fields and meadows.
In Altglandorf turn left onto cycle path R5 “Glan-Gurk Radweg” riding for a short stretch along the main road, before turning left to the Sonnenpark Untermühlbach energy site – this short detour is definitely worthwhile! Now the route climbs gently, through a small valley – it takes you directly to the impressive Hochosterwitz castle. Caution: the next 5km stretch to Brückl runs along a main road with heavy traffic!
In Brückl take the right turn at the roundabout and soon afterwards, turn left again after the chemicals factory. Follow the main road for a short while and then bear right – the stretch that follows runs through particularly beautiful scenery. You next proceed to St. Margarethen, through the Carinthian “Valley of the Kings”, with its historic burial mounds to the left of the cycle path around Waisenberg. In St. Margarethen keep to the left and proceed along the minor road, through the motorway underpass, eventually reaching Völkermarkt. The designated route skirts around Völkermarkt but you may equally choose to cycle through the town. After that it is all downhill – along a small valley and straight to Völkermarkt reservoir. If you have enough time, a relaxing ride on one of the Drauschifffahrt pleasure boats would certainly be just the thing!
Next you set off on cycle path R1 “Drauradweg” following the reservoir shore, as far as the gorgeous cycle stop at the bridge entrance. The reservoir is an inviting place for a rest and a dip in the water. Once across bridge finally you cycle along path R1E “Seeberg Radweg”, to the tour’s designated destination – Völkermarkt-Kühnsdorf railway station.
- Starting place: St. Veit/Glan, Fuchspalast
- Finish: Völkermarkt-Kühnsdorf railway station
- Distance: 42,0 km
- Altitude difference: 400 m
- Duration: ca. 4:30 h
- Degree of difficulty: medium
- Note: return trip by train. Of course you can also deal the return trip by your own energy if you have an economically way of cycling or you are prepared to cycle without electrical support.